IMMERSIVE AUDIO WORKSHOP
Capped at 15 participants.
In this introductory full-day workshop you will learn the theory and practice of working with immersive audio technology. The workshop will take place at IKLECTIK on the AMOENUS 3D sound system (a semispherical array of 17 speakers)Theory:● Aesthetic and experiential value of spatial sound in the arts
● Insights into different applications of 3D sound technologies (field recording, spatial sound composition, immersive installations and live performances)
● Comparison of different spatial audio methods
● Basics of ambisonics & binaural audio (recording, playback and sound perception) with live demonstrations
● Processing ambisonics recordings
● Envelop for Live: a collection of free, open-source immersive audio production tools that work with Ableton Live 10/11 SuitePractice:Following the overview of Envelop for Live, you will work on a short 3D sound composition starting with mono sound files. You will work on your short piece using a binaural decoder (allowing you to hear spatialised sound in headphones). All pieces will be played back on the sound system in a feedback session at the end.
Working knowledge of Ableton Live
A laptop with the following software installed:
● Ableton Live 11 Suite, available as a free trial for 90 days here: https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/
● IEM Suite (free): https://plugins.iem.at/
● Envelop for Live: https://www.envelop.us/software
● Reaper (free): https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
● A pair of headphones, ideally over-ear
● While we can provide example tracks for you to work with, we suggest that you bring your own sound files for the composition.Please check the system requirements.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your laptop is capable of running the software.
This workshop will be led by AMOENUS founder Christian Duka. He is a sound artist/designer, immersive audio specialist and higher education lecturer. After attending a month-long residency at MONOM 4D Sound in Berlin he curated UR: Human Presence, an interdisciplinary immersive performance presented at Aures London. He has since been active as an immersive art curator and 3D sound artist/designer.
Christian has also been teaching in higher education since 2016; he currently lectures on sound design and audio production in the Audio Production BA degree at SAE Institute, London.
Past works & collaborations: https://christianduka.com/portfolio
Envelop is a nonprofit organization that amplifies the connective power of music through immersive listening spaces and open source spatial audio software.
IKLECTIK is a self-funded creative platform founded in 2014 that showcases contemporary art, experimental music and artistic critical practice.
This workshop is organised by AMOENUS, an art organisation that facilitates, educates, curates, and promotes immersive art centred around 3D sound.