ICE ACCESS: 9:30 a.m.
FISHING DERBY: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
The Gimli Fishing Derby is a catch and release Walleye and Sauger event.
First hole tickets include entry to Gimli Ice Festival.
More than $50,000 in prizes and giveaways! *
Early bird discount ends February 5th, 2023.
PLUS... Early bird draw** and many other prizes!
* Scroll to bottom for prize list.
**Purchase your ticket by February 5th, 2023, for discount and entry into draw.
OFFICIAL DERBY RULES
- All competitive fishing event participants must adhere to Manitoba Fishery Regulations. For more information, please review the Manitoba Angler’s Guide (https://www.gov.mb.ca/nrnd/fish-wildlife/pubs/fish_wildlife/wildlife/angling-guide-new.pdf)..
- All coolers, pails, packs, boxes, portable tents, structures, and other equipment are subject to inspection by Derby Officials before entering Derby site, as well as any time during the event.
- The Derby will take place from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. on March 4, 2023
- Horn will sound to begin and end the day of fishing.
- Participants will be permitted on the ice at 9:30 a.m. to secure their angling hole.
- Only holes drilled in the Derby grid and drilled by the Derby committee are eligible to be fished.
- No pre-fishing will be allowed in the Derby area 30 hours before the start of the Derby.
- Angling may not take place prior to the 11:00 a.m. start time and must stop at 2:00 p.m. No fishing line shall go in the water until the beginning of the Derby at 11:00 a.m.
- Electronic Devices may be used by participants during the Derby. Electronic devices may be used as of 9:30 a.m. for the determination of depth in selecting a hole, as well as to assist in fishing throughout the Derby.
- Participants are restricted to the use of one fishing line per hole per entry ticket and may occupy or reserve only as many holes as that Participant has purchased tickets (maximum of 2). Only Participants with entry tickets may angle and may not have any other person angle on their behalf at any time during the Derby.
- No passing of fish among participants is allowed at any time during the derby.
- If you must leave the fishing area for any reason, you must exit and enter through the main entrance and advise Derby Officials upon leaving and re-entering.
- Portable tents, portable structures, windbreaks, and barriers may be used by participants. No tent or other enclosed structure shall be erected before the 11:00 a.m. start of the Derby. Structures must be placed over existing holes. Derby officials reserve the right to open and inspect inside any structure at any time.
- No motorized vehicles will be allowed in the designated fishing area except for Derby Officials
- Porta Potties will be stationed on site.
- Competitors must be 18 years of age or older unless fishing with a Parent or Guardian.
- Fish Weighing Process:
- The Gimli Fishing Derby is a catch and release Walleye and Sauger only event.
- Fish will be measured (if required) and weighed by Derby Officials only.
- Participants must alert on-ice officials of their catch and will receive a time of catch receipt prior to heading to the weigh-in tent.
- You must present your derby ticket prior to measuring and weighing.
- Participants are to bring their fish to the official weigh-in tent in a bucket or container of water, minimum 5 gallons of water.
- Only Walleye and Sauger over 35cm will be accepted for weigh-in by Derby officials.
- Only 1 Walleye/Sauger over 70cm per angler allowed.
- The information will be recorded by the Derby Official and initialed by the Participant as verification of the information.
- All fish will be released immediately after weighing. Under no circumstances are any participants allowed to keep their fish.
- Cancellations and Delays:
- Derby Officials have the right to delay or shorten the Derby times, subject to weather or safety conditions.
- Should inclement weather, unsafe conditions, Manitoba Public Health Orders, or any other reason beyond the Derby Officials control, cause Derby cancellation on March 4, 2023 the Derby will not be rescheduled. In the event that the Derby is cancelled, Prizes will be awarded through a random draw by derby officials via Facebook Live on March 11, 2023. Time will be posted on the Derby website.
- Official cancellation notices and information will be sent to ticket buyers via email and posted www.gimlifishingderby.com
- Disputes and Rule Interpretation: It is the intent of the Gimli Ice Festival Fishing Derby Committee to provide an honest sportsman-like Derby. In the interest of good sportsmanship, contestants are reminded that the “spirit of the rule” shall apply. In the event any dispute arises in relation to these rules and the dispute is not resolved by negotiation, the Derby Committee will have the final say.
- Event Photography and Videography: The Gimli Ice Festival Fishing Derby is a public event, and you may be photographed or recorded by other means during the Derby or surrounding activities. The Gimli Ice Festival Fishing Derby Committee reserves the right to use photographs, videos, and other recorded media taken during the Derby or surrounding activities for use in their publications, website and other means for promotional purposes. No compensation or remuneration of any kind will be paid for the use of any photography, video, or other recorded media taken as a result of your attendance at The Gimli Ice Festival Fishing Derby and surrounding activities.
- Indemnity: All participants indemnify and hold harmless The Gimli Ice Festival and the Gimli Ice Festival Fishing Derby Committees and its officials with respect to any death, injury, damage, fire, theft, loss or other claims arising before, during, or after this competitive fishing event.
For information about Marymound: https://www.marymound.com/
For information about Fish Futures: https://www.fishfutures.net/
$15,000 1st Place
$3,000 2nd Place
$2,000 3rd Place
$1,000 Smallest Fish
- Early Bird Draw: WOW Hospitality GC, 1/2 Hour Helicopter Ride, Elkhorn Resort 2 Night Stay
- SPI - Clam Nanook XT Thermal Shelter, Travel Cover, Hitch, Runners
- RONA (Gimli) Pit Boss Pro Series II 1100 Gas and Pellet Grill - 40,000 BTU - Black
- RONA (Gimli) Broil King BBQ and Cover
- Simon & Patrick Woodland Spruce Acoustic Guitar, Tric Guitar Case, Introductory Lesson Pack
- Harvester Outdoors Garmin EchoMap uhd75 ice package
- The Fishin' Hole Ion Alpha 10" Poly Auger
- 2 x Rona (Gimli) Gift Card Valid at Rona in Gimli only
- 2 x Co-Op Gift Card
- Lakeview Hotel: Weeks Stay in a Suite
- Hidden Weight: The Keg GC
- Strikemaster 40V Lite 10
- Harvester Outdoors Men's Striker Climate Ice Suit
- Humminbird Prize Ice Helix 5 Chirp GPS G3 All Season
- Harvester Outdoors Ladies Striker Prism Ice Suit
- Walker's Adventures 1 Day Guided Ice Fishing Trip in March of 2023 for up to 3 People
- 2x Clam Prize C-560 Thermal Hub Shelter
- Eskimo Fat Fish 949 Pop Up Shelter
- Yeti Package: 1 Yeti Hopper Flip 12, 1 Yeti Sidekick Dry, 1 Yeti Lunch Bag, 2 Yeti Rambler 10oz
- Humminbird Prize Ice Helix 5 Chirp G3
- 3x Humminbird Ice 35 Flasher
- City Cats 1/2 Day on the Red River Summer of 2023 for Cats
- Rona (Gimli) Gift Card Valid at Rona in Gimli only
- Co-Op Gift Card
- Sports Ticket Pack:
• 2 Tickets to a Winnipeg Jets Hockey Game, March 6th, 2023 VS. San Jose Sharks, Section 118
• 4 Pack of Goldeye Tickets to a 2023 Winnipeg Goldeye Home Game
- 2x CCM Hardline Youth Hardtail Mountain Bike