JOIN US AND FIND THE BALANCE BETWEEN
Scribente Maternum was formed out of a desire to find balance between our children as writing inspiration and their presence as a writing distraction. Our retreats are meant to give you time to rest, recharge, and breathe. These are experiences that mothers so often do not make time for but so desperately need: meditation, mindfulness, writing, and simply sitting in stillness.
Join us for our next chance to rest and write together as a community at our 2023 Write Like a Mother Retreat at the Historic Sou'wester Lodge & Vintage Travel Trailer Resort in Seaview, Washington, just steps from the Pacific Ocean.
Historic Sou'wester Lodge & Vintage Travel Trailer Resort
- Time & space to write
- The unique Scribente Maternum writer-moms community
- Craft & writing-focused sessions with local writers & teachers
- Mindfulness practices
- Intentional movement
AND MORE! REGISTRATION ALSO INCLUDES:
- Transportation from/to Portland International Airport (PDX) on Thursday & Sunday (only as-needed; parking is available at the Sou'Wester)
- Welcome appetizers & drinks
- Continental Breakfast (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Lunch (Friday & Saturday)
- Group Dinner & Reading (Saturday)
- Snacks & beverages throughout the retreat
- Curated tools & gifts, perfect for every writer-mom
While registration does not include lodging, room rates start at just $61/night. Rates for your entire three-night stay will range from $183 + tax to $463 + tax total. A link to book lodging at the special retreat price will be provided upon event registration.
If you are a BIPOC writer, you will also be given an additional lodging discount code.
Note that this special pricing is only available until October 1! Rates start at $150 beginning October 2.
Subject to change
Thursday, October 19
- Afternoon (Time TBD): Portland Airport Pickup (optional; parking is also available at the Sou'Wester for those who wish to drive themselves)
- 5:00-7:00pm: Welcome Happy Hour (@ Sou'Wester)
Friday, October 20
- 8:30-9:00am: Breakfast and coffee (provided) + Welcome and Opening
- 9:00-9:45am: Opening movement and centering
- 9:45-11:00am: Opening introductions and time with small groups
- 11:00am-1:00pm: Generative writing workshop with Shalanda Sims
- 1:00-2:00pm: Lunch (provided)
- 2:00-4:00pm: Workshop with Angela Garbes
- 4:00-4:30pm: Group photo and close-of-day
- 5:00: Free time to write and explore the Pacific Northwest
- 7:00: Group dinner (optional or venture out on your own)
Saturday, October 21st
- 8:30-9:00am: Breakfast and coffee (provided)
- 9:00-9:45am: Morning mindfulness and movement
- 9:45-10:30am: Small groups
- 10:30am-12pm: Writing workshop with Emily Van Kley
- 12:00-1:30pm: Lunch (provided) + free writing time
- 1:30-3:30pm: Concurrent workshops with Kimberly King Parsons and Kristen Millares Young
- 3:30-4:15pm: Closing with small groups
- 4:15-4:45pm: Large group closing
- 5:00-7:00pm: Break or time for more writing
- 7:00pm: Celebratory group dinner (included)
Sunday, October 22nd
- Optional group breakfast -- attendees are free to leave any time during the day.
- ~8:30am: Shuttle departs for Portland International Airport (optional)
LODGING & TRAVEL:
- Lodging: We will be retreating and staying at the Sou'Wester Lodge in Seaview, WA.
- UPDATE: The Sou'Wester Lodge is fully booked for the weekend. However, there are a variety of moderately affordable options in the area that are all offering seasonal discounts during our retreat weekend!: Shelburne Hotel (10 min. walk/2 min drive, starting at less than $105/night), Adrift Hotel (30 min. walk/5 min. drive, starting at less than $150/night), SALT hotel (6 min. drive, starting at less than $125/night). If you missed out on the Sou'Wester, there are plenty of options. If these options don't work, there are many Airbnbs in close walking distance to the Sou'Wester.
- Note: initial registration does not include lodging.
- Travel: The Sou'Wester is ~2.5 hours drive from Portland Int'l Airport and ~3+ hours from Seattle. There is plenty of parking for locals who are driving.
- Flying/Airport Transfer: If you are flying in for the retreat weekend, we are offering a complementary airport transfer to/from the Portland International Airport airport and the Sou'Wester (on the afternoon of Thursday, October 19 and the morning of Sunday, October 22). If you plan to utilize the transfer, please make sure your flight arrives no later than 2:30pm on October 19 and departs no earlier than 12:00pm on the October 22. Look for a form to share travel details when you register for the retreat. Feel free to reach out to us with questions as you make your travel details (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Center your intentions each morning.
(Photo: Ana Rodney leads the opening session of the 2022 retreat).
Join workshops with renowned authors and teachers.
(Photo: Tyrese Coleman leads a craft writing seminar at the 2022 Retreat).
Find inspiration and community through smaller accountability groups.
(Photo: Attendees connect during the 2022 Retreat).
Mothers with stories to share. Mothers who don't have to walk this road alone.
This is Scibente Maternum.
- Early Bird Rate: $427 (Fewer than half now available!)
- Standard Rate: $497
- We do everything we can to keep our retreats as accessible as possible, only charging enough to cover expenses. But we know that the expense can still be difficult for some. To that end, we offer a "You Deserve to Be Here" fund, supported by generous sponsors and our own retreat participants. Apply for full or partial retreat funding here.
*Registration includes a non-refundable deposit of $97; retreat registrations are transferrable up to ten days before the event.
*Registration does not include lodging. Room rates for your entire three-night stay will range between $183+tax and $463+tax total. A link to book lodging at the special retreat price will be provided upon event registration.